Sunday, April 20, 2008

Milemarker 239

Just passing mile marker 239 for Meteor City. We decided not to stop. We want to get to Winslow before its dark and try and make Holbrook if we can. I really want to stay in the Wigwam Village but I think Holbrook is a little wishful. Nonetheless, we will try and I just checked lodging options in Holbrook and Winslow... and there are plenty. So we'll find something.

Been a long day on the road. Saw some pretty interesting things. The desert is a good place to think and I guess I'm starting to see how people could live there. No one to bother you, that's for sure.

Current surroundings: I-40, lots of flatland and wouldn't you know it, railroad tracks. They've followed us everywhere, or maybe we've followed them, but BNSF seriously does some business. Can you still be a tycoon in the railroad industry? Anyway, it sunny. The car says it 66 degrees. Clear skies. Windy as heck.

Saw some of the old Route 66 today. Not like, hey, we're driving on Route 66, but like, "Hey! There's what used to be the old Route 66 before the route we're on now," i.e. circa 1930s. It was actually really cool that we could see it. It wasn't completely there but you could certainly pick out that it was the old road.

Saw some other cool sites, like the Hackberry General Store. Loved that. I'll post some pictures. Also got an root beer float (c'mon, you're not surprised are you?) at the Snow Cap Drive-in in Seligman. Great little place where the employees love to joke around. Gosh, what else, there has been so much I'm afraid I'll forget it all. Lots of little towns that probably have population 50. Cool mountains. OH! I just remembered this awesome thing we saw this morning.

We drove out of CA (finally!) and into AZ. We drove around and around and around this mountain on these sharp hairpins turns. I LOVED IT! Dad might not but it was really cool and fun. And when you got to the top, there was this town called Oatman and it looked like we had just stepped into the 1840s with clapboard buildings-- very pioneer and mining town. All natural, no stain. Tin roofs. Narrow roads. Wild burros.

I'll have to check back in a little later. Time to exit and I'm the navigator!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home