Sunday, April 27, 2008

i <3 internet

thinking about the great Route 66 trip and I cannot urge people enough to take it. ok, so 66 doesn't strike your fancy. then take a road trip, anywhere, somewhere. see whats going on in other states. see the back roads... the road less traveled. its something you won't likely ever forget.

66 was a fantastic experience. the people of 66 are genuine, kind... yesterday it was late in the day and Dad and I were driving through Illinois. We were nearing Funk's Grove, where they make maple sirip, spelled like the way you think I just spelled it wrong. They've been making it for 100 or so years and selling it right there along Route 66. Anyway, I looked at the clock and said, "Hmm, too bad. It's after 5 on a Saturday. I'm sure that they are closed." We pulled in, just for a look and a picture, and as Dad was backing the car around to leave, this little old lady comes out from the house on the property and asks us if she can open the shop for us. She was very sweet, and no offense Sweet Old Lady, but I would guess she was about 70. Dad said we didn't want to bother her or make her come out of her house and she said she was feeling a little under the weather but no big deal.

So she opens her little shop, which was quite cozy, and we bought some sirip. And as we stood there talking to the sweet old lady, another car drives up and comes in to buy sirip.

The amazing part, to me, is that that sweet old woman didn't have to come out, but she did. And she talked with us. It seems that many of the Route 66 business owners are like this. They care about the travelers on the road and they genuinely want to assist you or help you. We were in Quapaw, OK taking a picture of the side of a barn which had a cute little mural on it. We were alongside the road, ready to leave, and this woman comes running out of the building across the street. I rolled the window down as she approached and she said, "I saw you taking a picture of that mural and this is for you!" She handed me a picture postcard of the same mural in better shape (livelier colors). We chatted with her a few moments about her business and where we were from. I asked her if I could keep the postcard and she said of course! She just gave it to me! Most places you have to pay for everything and I'm sure having a few hundred picture postcards printed isn't exactly cheap. Sure, probably not expensive either, but why do it? There is no advantage to her, right?

The business owners of 66 are real people--real GENUINE people. Classic example: Midpoint Cafe. Cutest darn place I ever did see. Gosh, I'd go back there in a heartbeat. I need a transporter (but not a plane; I'm talking instantaneous) because the pie was that good and the people were that nice. I asked Leyla if she could break my $100 and she said yes. I purchased a patch and my change was considerable, including some serious coinage. As I struggled with a wallet of coins falling everywhere, she said, "Hang on! I've got something for all those coins," and disappeared into the kitchen. She came back with a plastic baggie. Now, again, how many people would do that? Most people would watch me struggle or just be patient and wait for my coin situation to go away. But no. Not here. I'm telling you--the Route 66 Business Owner is a different breed. You really have to see for yourself but I promise you'll find the same results. My examples may sound trivial but put yourself in a similar situation and I am sure you won't find similar results off Route 66.

66 is a different world than the normal one we live in. It's slower and more patient, more understanding, and honestly, an experience you need to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home