Monday, April 21, 2008

No Monday Blues Here

Didn't get back to the blog last night but shout out to Wayne! We made it to Winslow and nope, there wasn't a whole lot there! Got my picture on the corner featured in The Eagles song, "Take It Easy." We rode on to Holbrook but didn't stay in a Wigwam.

Continue to see a lot of awesome things. Today it was mostly nature, not the offbeat. Lots of picturesque mountains and flatland and red rock. My head was swiveling left then right. Will try and post a few pictures tonight if I'm not too exhausted.

Did I mention I had my picture taken on a big bunny? That was last night in Jackrabbit, or maybe I should say at the Jackrabbit Trading Post in Jackrabbit.

Today we've made it just a little past half-way through New Mexico. So much to see and yet just so little time. Probably stopping here soon (currently jetting down I-40... apparently 40 is practically on top of old 66 along this leg), which is good. I'm exhausted.

There are moments when the road seems a little long and dull, but then you think, "I am on Route 66. This is a once in a lifetime trip," and I know I'm lucky. There is a history here, a story that belonged to so many people before you or me. I love it, seriously. I think about all the people that came this way and saw 66 in its heyday and what it was like for them. It was barren too, and there were long stretches, and just like them, Dad and I get out from time to time at roadside attractions and stretch our legs. And then I wonder, looking at all these crumbling remains of former tourist stops, why did they go out of business? Where did the people go? It's the mystery that makes me wonder. Some places look so neatly abandoned that it looks like the owners just didn't come back one day.

Getting close to our stopping point. Leave a note and say hey.
:) valarie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home