Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Saint Louis

Yesterday wasn't a very good day.

We started at the Chain of Rocks Bridge and took our picture, which was nice. Glad I brought the tripod.

But then we had to cross the Mississippi. We hit a bird. Then, once you are across the bridge, you're in Saint Louis. We got lost in Saint Louis multiple times. When Dad and I drove 66 two years ago, we used the EZ-66 guide and it was perfect - or my memory is foggy. A second edition of EZ-66 was put out and I bought it for this trip. But either we weren't paying attention or the directions were missing (the directions were missing) but we missed some turns. I curse Saint Louis. I have never really visited there but I don't know how much I want to.

We had frozen custard at Ted Drewes; Andre said it was "good." I asked him what it takes to get a "great" review but I guess Ted Drewes didn't live up to it.

On we drove. A lot of 66 in MO is on green backroads, which made for a pretty drive. We saw Meramec Caverns, Rolla (which Andre was thrilled about after his time at Fort Leonard Wood), and a lot of other random things.

We stopped in Joplin, which isn't really on 66, but needed a place to rest. It was 8pm when we stopped last night. Today, we're off for 15 miles of Kansas and Oklahoma!

Andre and I are having fun, but yesterday was a little rough. The sky was grey, and at times rainy. The Weather Channel says 'Sun' today. Let's hope.

Valarie

2 Comments:

Blogger tamccarthy said...

Paint me "green" with envy. You're traveling Route 66 again and I'm slaving over a hot computer keyboard. I hope that Andre let's go just a bit to soak up the history of a fast fading era.

Thousands of miles and thousands of photos later I feel like there is so much more to see on America's main street. I don't know why, exactly, but Route 66 seems to be about what America is, and even some of what it used to be. There are plenty of hardy, romantic notions I have about the mother road. Before nature causes it to dry up and blow away I'd encourage everyone to make the journey.

Keep us posted as you explore again some of the best things about America.

April 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Drew said...

I too am jealous. I'm living vicariously through your blog right now, as I'm working at my cubical in a windowless, cavernous room.

I've only done parts of 66 in CA, AZ, and NM. As a guy that majored in history as an undergrad and geography in grad school, I couln't imagine a better road trip for my interests. The pace of life seems so much slower and culture seems much more rational, both of which I yearn for right now.

Today, I booked a flight back to the midwest to attend some family activities. Two weeks from today, during the wee hours of the morning, I will travel from San Francisco to Chicago in a mere four hours. I "make" time, and save money, but the trade-offs are more considerable than a vast majority people realize.

Enjoy, and thanks for the updates!

April 27, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home